WHY SAFER SKINCARE?
Have you ever looked up the products you’re using on Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep database? I bet you’ll be surprised to learn what’s inside and how they might be harming your health! From endocrine hormone disrupters, to heavy metals, and scientific links to cancer you’ll find it all in the products most people are using day in and day out.
Since having my daughter Evelyn back in 2015, it has been my priority to use only safe products, free of harmful chemicals on her delicate little body. As a mom on a mission, I did a lot of research, and as a result I have become increasingly aware that most of the products that fill up countless shelves in America are unsafe for humans. It was incredibly shocking to learn that these products are full of toxic chemicals that are known to cause cancer, infertility, hormone disruption, adrenal disorders and many other terrible problems. It’s an ugly truth, but it’s the truth I found nonetheless.
Unfortunately, we can’t trust companies or even rely on government regulations to give us safe products. And current research is proving that we can longer be ignorant of the effects these chemicals are having on our bodies and on our environment. Cleaning up my skincare and makeup has really been important to me, especially since what I use incidentally gets all over my family, every single day.
Even more alarming to me were the harmful and toxic chemicals that are rampant in baby & children’s products (read more about that here). You can type in the products you use on EWG’s website and your jaw will probably hit the floor when you see the results. EWG is a third party organization that tests ingredient safety based on risks for cancer, developmental & reproductive toxicity, allergies, and immunotoxity. I encourage you to pick a product and give it a run through EWG’s database!
Today there are a number of great companies who do make safer products. And Beautycounter is the one I am obsessed with. Not only does this company care about product safety and performance, they also advocate for more health protective laws!
I’ve spent the last couple of years trying “safer” alternatives for personal care products and haven’t found anything that is as safe or works as well as Beautycounter, especially in their cosmetics, anti-aging products, and baby/kids lines…
Beautycounter is dedicated to product performance, just as much as they are to product safety. They have developed a truly groundbreaking and rigorous ingredient screening process, looking for data on skin irritation, carcinogenicity, reproductive toxicity, cumulative exposure (are we exposed to this chemical from other sources) and more. You can read more about their screening process here. I can trust every single thing they create! Beautycounter carries the EWG certified seal and every single product is listed on EWG’s Skin Deep database.
What are some of my favorite products?
You can join my Safer and Healthier Living Facebook group where I share about safer skincare (and home care) in more detail. I spotlight products and talk about current favorites. Overall, here is general list:
- Cleansing Balm – Use to cleanse face nightly and also as an overnight mask
- No. 3 Balancing Facial Oil – Game changer! I use this daily to even skin tone and ward off breakouts.
- Rejuvenating Day Cream – Ultra hydrating…
- Rejuvenating Night Cream – lightweight! Great for my sensitive skin.
- Charcoal Mask – I use weekly to clean pores, and as needed for acne spot treatment.
- No. 1 Brightening Facial Mist – as make up primer & setting spray, it really brightens my complexion!
- Rejuvenating Toner Pads – Use half a pad (cut in half) to tone and treat for wrinkles.
- Tint Skin Foundation
- Touch Up Concealer Pen
- Color Sweep Blush Duo in Bloom/Tulip
- Color Shade Eye Duo in Shell/Malt
- Mattifying Powder
- Color Define Brow Pencil
- Lip Sheer – Rose
- Kids Bath Collection – Very affordable and the most moisturizing and rich formula I’ve used. Detangles like a dream, and non of them are “tear-free”, they are just pH balanced so stinging isn’t an issue. The “tear-free” ingredient in most kid’s products is a numbing agent, which is a proven hormone-disrupter and carcinogen. Thanks, but no thanks!
- Calming Diaper Rash Cream – Hands down, best diaper cream we’ve used on her!
- Hydrating Body Lotion – Rich and ultra moisturizing lotion, we slather her in this every night after bath!
The Hubby, Chris:
- Charcoal bar – facial cleanser and clears blackheads.
- Daily Shampoo & Conditioner – Cured his dandruff…no joke.
- Cleansing Balm – uses at night on his forehead to treat eczema.
- Nourishing Day Cream – daily moisturizer.
- Cream Exfoliating Cleanser – Daily face wash.