Love stuffed bell peppers but hate the prep work and the fact that the peppers never fully cook? Try this alternative recipe. The vegetables are roasted to perfection and the turkey and rice mixture is moist and tender. This recipe comes from a dear family friend, and his recipes are always amazing! The epitome of hearty and flavorful comfort food, only healthy and loaded with fresh vegetables.
Now my friend is Serbian, and in Serbia the main spice used in cooking is paprika. It’s incredible what this spice, when used appropriately (i.e. generously), adds in flavor. It seems like one of the keys to Serbian cooking is “slow & steady”. This is what makes the flavors marry so well and makes the texture of everything perfect. For example, in another one of my favorite Serbian recipes, you cook the onions down for 30-40 minutes. That is what makes the dish. Simple ingredients and flavors, cooked well.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a large frying pan, add coconut oil and allow to melt. Add the chopped onion and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add the ground turkey and sauté until fully cooked through. Add salt, black pepper, and paprika and mix well.
- Add the rice and stir to mix for 1-2 minutes.
- In a roasting pan (that has a lid) add the ground turkey and rice mixture. Pour in the diced tomatoes, tomato juice, all of the veggies, and the fresh parsley.
- Dissolve the corn starch in the COLD water and then stir into the mixture.
- Stir everything really well to combine.
- Put the lid on and bake, covered, for 90 minutes.
This has easily become a family favorite recipe at our house, and I think you will find the same! Pair it with a fresh salad (recipe idea below) and you have the perfect dinner.
Our current go-to salad recipe:
Spring salad mix with diced cucumbers, tomatoes, thinly sliced carrots, sunflower seeds, and raisins. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and a drizzle of both olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Mix well, and serve!
Let me know what you think of this recipe. You can find more dinner ideas here.